Dismantle criminal gangs running Amazon mines, UN tells Venezuela | News | Al Jazeera
JAT
2020-07-15 21:26:45 UTC
Dismantle criminal gangs running Amazon mines, UN tells Venezuela

UN says nearly 150 men and women are reported to have died in gold,
diamond and bauxite mines since March 2016.

Some gold, diamond and bauxite mines in the Venezuelan Amazon are
controlled by criminal groups that exploit, beat and even kill workers,
a United Nations investigation has found.

Venezuelan security and military forces have failed in preventing crimes
and, in fact, have participated in some of the violence against the
miners, the UN human rights office said in a report on Wednesday.

"Despite the considerable presence of security and military forces in
the region ... authorities have failed to investigate and prosecute
human rights violations, and abuses and crimes linked to mining," UN
High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet said in a statement.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/07/dismantle-criminal-gangs-running-amazon-mines-tells-venezuela-200715093719560.html
--
/jat
Knowledge will set you free
El conocimiento te hará libre
JAT
2020-07-16 01:08:02 UTC
You may say _a diamond is for ever_ But, you may also say *a diamond for
vanity* - Vanity is an example of Pride /one of the seven deadly sins/

/jat
Knowledge will set you free
El conocimiento te hará libre
More 'blood diamonds', only possibly financing
criminal enterprises instead of warlords.
And yet we have eunichs like DeBeers monstering men
into buying diamonds for women, and women being taught
to expect men to buy these shiny, expensive, but
useless baubles for them.
The Diamond Industrial Complex needs to die quickly.
It just pushes outdated stereotypes and bullshit,
and all it's doing is filling the pockets of people
profiting off of others' misery.