Music torture: How heavy metal broke Manuel Noriega
jat
2017-05-30 14:12:25 UTC
Everyone has at least one song that sets their teeth on edge. Most of
the time, they're easy to avoid.

But what if you'd lost the power to change the TV channel, switch off
the radio, or simply walk away?

What if someone played it non-stop for an hour. A day. A week. Even longer?

This is "music torture" - and while some of its practitioners say it
shouldn't count as torture, there's little doubt it works.

On Christmas Day, 1989, Panamanian strongman General Manuel Noriega -
who died this week - became the most famous victim.

The repressive military leader had holed himself up in the Vatican's
embassy in Panama City, after President George Bush Senior invaded Panama.

Noriega was facing a US indictment for drug-trafficking, as well as
claims he had rigged the 1989 election.

The embassy was surrounded by US troops, but he refused to give himself up.

The US army decided to use psychological warfare - by blasting a wall of
sound non-stop outside. A fleet of Humvees mounted with loudspeakers
rolled in, and rock music rolled out.

The troops' playlist came care of the Southern Command Network, the US
military radio in central America. It featured hits picked for their
irony value, including I Fought The Law by The Clash, Panama by the
stadium rock band Van Halen, U2's All I Want Is You, and Bruce
Cockburn's If I Had A Rocket Launcher.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-40090809
--
/jat