‘Burn her alive’: US reporter tells RT about death threats from Venezuela opposition protesters — RT News
jat
2017-06-08 16:23:35 UTC
However, some protesters are involved into actions called ‘guarimbas’,
which means making “giant flaming barricades,” Martin said, adding that
by this a small contingent of protesters are “provoking an international
response from media and state forces.”

Martin said she saw firsthand what those people do.

“They attack police lines with Molotov cocktails and explosives. And
these are the same people who are attacking hospitals, carrying out
political assassinations.”

Martin said that what her crew did was “simply reporting on the
opposition violence.”

“We just reported on this and the result of this was a <…> lynch mob,
death threats. I’ve never had so many death threats in my life. It [the
mob] actually calls ‘Lynch her, Lynch her, burn her alive’.”

Martin said she saw mobs at the protests burn alive those people whom
they see as infiltrators.

“It’s no small thing to be called an infiltrator. It was extremely scary
and dangerous. The second you try to contradict their narrative, they
threaten to kill you.”

https://www.rt.com/news/391338-us-journalist-venezuela-threats/
--
/jat
Knowledge will set you free
El conocimiento te hará libre
PL
2017-06-09 11:16:24 UTC
On 6/8/2017 6:23 PM, jat wrote:

Part of the story as usual.

'Burn her alive': US reporter tells RT about death threats from
Venezuela opposition protesters
Published time: 8 Jun, 2017 09:58
Edited time: 9 Jun, 2017 10:27

A US journalist covering mass opposition protests in Venezuela told RT
she received numerous death threats during her work on the ground. She
says protesters threatened to lynch and burn her alive if she tried to
contradict their narrative.

Abby Martin, the host of the Empire Files investigative program on the
pan-Latin American TeleSUR TV network has been reporting on the events
of the opposition riots in Venezuela's capital, Caracas.

"Here in the Western press we hear one narrative that [Venezuelan
President Nicholas] Maduro's forces are cracking down and killing en
masse peaceful protesters. The reality on the ground is very different.
There are tens of thousands of people peacefully protesting either with
the government or against the government," Martin told RT.

[...]

According to Martin, it is very dangerous to be a state journalist on
the ground.

"They [opposition protesters] did threaten me. They asked: 'Where are
you from?' And I said: 'I am American.' They said: 'Good. Film what the
government does to us! Don't film what we do!"

And threats are being transformed "into real-life actions," Martin said.

"It's extremely scary. They don't want their narrative to be punctured,"
she added.

Martin said there were "major opposition figures, academics, Emmy
award-winning journalists, people based in Miami" among those who issued
threats.

"We are a centerpiece of viral fake news campaign against us, saying
that we [journalists] were actually spies turning protesters in to the
intelligence services to get them arrested," she said.

A TeleSUR journalist was attacked with Molotov cocktails and "was rained
down with bullets and shot in the back with a live round from the
protesters," Martin said. She was apparently referring to Adriana
Sivori, a teleSUR correspondent, who was injured during the protests in
the Latin American country on Monday.

Venezuela saw a surge in protests in March 2017 which left dozens dead.

Maduro opponents say that his intention to negotiate with the opposition
is in fact an attempt to delay regional and municipal elections
scheduled for later this year.

Maduro's government says the opposition refuses to engage in
negotiations, but is instead trying to oust him by any means.

READ MORE: 'Get your dirty hands out of Venezuela' – Maduro to Trump

Maduro is convinced the unrest in the country has been triggered by
external forces, particularly that of the US, with him even telling US
President Donald Trump to "get out of Venezuela" on May 20."

https://www.rt.com/news/391338-us-journalist-venezuela-threats/